What do I do if I’ve been served divorce papers?

If you’ve been served with a divorce petition, that’s obviously a very scary moment. My specific advice to anyone who’s been served recently with a divorce case is to speak with an attorney right away to find out what the paperwork says and how you should be interpreting it. Now, as to the issue of if your spouse put the clause “attorney’s fees requested” in their divorce petition, the first response can be that you believe your spouse is going to be getting all the attorney’s fees paid to them. And that’s often not the case. It’s more common that the attorney’s fees will be paid evenly by both the husband and by the wife. But the important thing to remember here is if you have been served with a divorce action to speak with an attorney right away because are specific deadlines that might be coming up.

Empowering Clients.

Achieving Results. ®